FAQ Deposits & Withdrawals

How can I withdraw funds if I have lost the card that I used to deposit funds?

If you have lost the card that you used to deposit funds and the account that the card was connected to is still active, you should make a withdrawal request using the old card number for the funds to be transferred to your card/checking account.

If, however, the bank account that your card was connected to has been closed, you should send an official letter to accounting@fxpro.com, stating that the account to which your card was connected has been closed. Following certain procedures, you will be able to withdraw funds using a different payment method.